martedì 29 novembre 2016

Working with S -Kathmandu, Nepal

Written  Sept. 15th 



Today was my second day at S' School (An Anglican School), working one to one with S. Hard job I must say. She is attending year six's lessons, even if she is a bit older than her classmates.

She is so happy being at school, her mum seems to be little more relaxed... always staying in the school library, that's not a good sign indeed.
S. is a mystery to me. Really I cannot say how much she understands the teacher's and the classmates' speech; for sure she doesn't understand me. I think she finds my accent very funny: she laughed at me today. 
Sometimes she wants to communicate; she is willing to explain to others... she has a podd box that she loves. An old, used untidy self-made pictures book that is useful to help her to structure the sentences.
She cannot use language but, answering precise yes/no questions, you can help her to say something (everything she has got in mind, in her parents' opinion). In the pod book there are all subjects she should talk about.


The most challenging thing to do is understand when she wants to say "yes" and when it's "no".
Looking up means affirmative, down supposed to be negative. But she often moves her eyes crazily  around, she tight her arms making fist... how do I should read this behavior? 
I got a lot of doubts. 
For this first month my goal is to make her comfortable in her classroom, make her schoolmates being confident with her, and maybe able to use the podd book. But first... I should learn how to use it!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Hai letto o guardato il resoconto di viaggio?
Vuoi dire qualcosa in proposito?
Lascia un commento!!!